- This event has passed.
The Sushi Course: Five Sessions with Master Chef Andy Matsuda
Friday, May 17th @ 6:00 pm - 10:00 pm
An event every week that begins at 6:00 pm on Friday, repeating until Friday, June 14th, 2019
Sushi making doesn’t have to be just a voyeuristic experience anymore. Step behind the sushi bar at the Institute of Culinary Education and get hands on to discover the techniques of this iconic Japanese cuisine. In this five-session course*, the Institute of Culinary Education’s very own chief instructor, CEO of the Sushi Chef Institute, and sushi master Andy Matsuda, shares the fine art of this traditional food. Topics covered in this class include rice making, plating techniques, perfectly fried tempura, terminology, proper fish slicing, nigiri and roll preparation. As students advance through the series, they can gain confidence by honing their sushi-making abilities and grow to understand this specialized skill.
*This course consists of five 4-hour classes. All sessions occur on Friday evenings from 6-10 p.m.; dates in the course include: May 17, 24, 31 and June 7, 14.
Session 1 (May 17): Basic Sushi Rice Preparation and Traditional Rolls
• Basic sushi rolls • Temaki sushi
• Proper cutting techniques • Traditional roll decoration and design
Session 2 (May 24): Tempura and Specialty Rolls
• Batter and frying of tempura • Sushi mother sauces
• Specialty and fusion rolls
Session 3 (May 31): Fish Preparation – Level 1
• Sashimi Usu-zukuri (thinly sliced) • Clams or scallops
• Sashimi moritsuke (plating and design)
Session 4 (June 7): Fish Preparation – Level 2
• Nigiri sushi techniques • Neta cutting for nigiri
Session 5 (June 14): Lesson 5: Nigiri Sushi
• Traditional and modern washoku appetizers
• Nigiri morikomi (decoration and plating)
Please contact Kiri Tannenbaum with questions at [email protected]